Friday, September 11, 2009

Canned Food -- To Donate and To Cook (Cranberried Chicken and Tuna with Chickpeas)

Check out my latest column at the j. weekly. It focuses on the local tradition of donating non-perishables to local food banks during the Jewish High Holy Days and has two recipes that use canned goods themselves -- cranberried chicken and tuna and chickpea salad.

The cranberried chicken makes the best leftovers. The recipe is great for the high holidays as well as a regular Shabbat or other dinner. I love the contrast of the juicy, savory dressing-like bread layer and the tart and sassy cranberry layer. I hope you'll try it and let me know what you think.
The make-ahead tuna salad works well for Yom Kippur break fast. It works as a salad or sandwich filling.

You can see the recipes and write up here.

To find a food bank in your area (guaranteed they will be looking for donations), please go to Feeding America .

1 comment:

FJKramer said...

A number of people (well 3) have stopped me in the market and elsewhere to tell me how much they liked the cranberried chicken recipe.

I really hope you try it, it is really easy and makes wonderful leftovers.